Thursday, December 6, 2012

Growing up as an avid golfer, I always wanted to shoot a great score and win! What golfer doesn't want to do that? This mentality made me give a great deal of thought towards the result or the end score. Preferably, a good golfer wouldn't want to have more than 70 shots over the course of a round that lasts 18 holes. Even though 18 holes might sound like a lot of golf, the first shot is no less important than the last. Unfortunately, I would sometimes lose focus on the shot at hand because of this mentality. When I was playing well, I would wish that the round was over so I wouldn't have time to mess up. When I was playing poorly, I would wish I could just restart the round. After nearly every round I would find myself thinking, "If only I had made that one putt the result of my round would have been completely different!" Or "If I would have hit that one drive in the fairway I could have won the tournament. I'm so stupid!" This turned into disappointments and even regrets. 

My dear friends, these are destructive thoughts. We simply cannot think like that!  I lost sight of the beautiful golf course I was playing on, the great weather, and even the great blessing of being able to be an athlete. This applies in all that we do, whether we're on the golf course or not. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf gave a wonderful talk about regrets and resolutions in the October 2012 General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 

"Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey. I don’t go cycling with my wife because I’m excited about finishing. I go because the experience of being with her is sweet and enjoyable.

Do we listen to beautiful music waiting for the final note to fade before we allow ourselves to truly enjoy it? No. We listen and connect to the variations of melody, rhythm, and harmony throughout the composition.
Do we say our prayers with only the “amen” or the end in mind? Of course not. We pray to be close to our Heavenly Father, to receive His Spirit and feel His love.
We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available—all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect. “This is the day which the Lord hath made … ,” the Psalmist wrote. “Rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalms 118:24)
No matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it."
Let's all resolve to enjoy the journey a little more. Make the decision to be the best you can be right now and don't let anything or anyone stop you :) Make every shot count!


No comments:

Post a Comment